Doane Administration / Doane Academy
Doane Academy Building was one of the many gifts from William Howard Doane to Denison University. Most notably, W.H. Doane contributed toward Doane Hall (the original library), Doane Gymnasium (now Doane Dance), and the Doane Academy Building, which led Granville Academy to be named after him.
The building was announced at commencement in 1892 (the same time as Barney Memorial Science Hall) and was completed in 1894. It served as the main building for Doane Academy, a preparatory school deeply connected to Denison’s history right from the beginning. In 1927, Doane Academy was shut down due to dwindling enrollment. Today, the building is known as Doane Academy. It houses many of the offices on campus, including the President, Registrar, and the Mail & Copy Center.
Namesake: William Howard Doane
Architect: Yost & Packard of Columbus, Ohio