Namesake: Albert M. Higley, Jr.
Father, Son, & Higley Hall
Albert M. Higley, Jr., a Phi Gamma Delta and graduate of the class of 1951 at Denison as a Personnel Administration major, began working at his father’s company after graduation. Albert M. Higley, Sr., had founded a contracting company and used his name as the company’s name. Higley Sr. was a Denison trustee from 1954-1959. In the 1960s, Higley Jr. became chairman of the contracting company.
Over the course of both Higley Jr. and his father’s time in charge of the company, they oversaw dozens of projects at Denison University including Crawford Hall (1959), Slayter Student Union (1961), Fellows Hall (1963), Shorney Hall (1966), Burke Hall of Music and Art (1972), and the Seeley G. Mudd Learning Center (1985).
In 1997, Albert Jr. and his wife, Beverly, gave a gift to renovate the Life Science Building. The undisclosed amount allowed the building to undergo renovations and was subsequently renamed Higley Hall in their honor.