1831: Granville Literary and Theological Institution is founded.
1845: Name officially changed to Granville College, although the name had appeared unofficially before this time.
1853: Board of Trustees votes to rename the institution to Denison University, honoring the agreement with William S. Denison to buy the naming rights for $10,000. The name would not become official until 1856.
1854: Denison’s Board of Trustees decides to move from the farm site roughly 1 mile outside of Granville onto the hill inside the village, where it stands today.
1858: Clarence Luther Herrick born in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
1868: Charles Judson Herrick born in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
1887: Preparatory Department spun off to form the Granville Academy.
1894: Barney Memorial Science Hall and Doane Academy Building constructed. Granville Academy renamed Doane Academy.
1904: C.L. Herrick dies in New Mexico.
1905: Barney Science Hall gutted by fire.
1909: Swasey Observatory constructed.
1924: Swasey Chapel constructed.
1927: Doane Academy closed.
1929: Whisler Hospital constructed.
1933: Games Slayter applies for a patent relating to the production of glass wool (AKA fiberglas).
1941: Life Science Building constructed.
1945: Leroy “Ace” Morgan killed overseas while serving in World War II.
1956: Theatre Arts Building and Ace Morgan Studio Theatre constructed.
1960: C. Judson Herrick dies.
1962: Slayter Student Union constructed.
1964: Games Slayter dies.
1967: Herrick Hall constructed.
1994: F.W. Olin Science Hall constructed.
1999: Barney Hall renovation completed and renamed Barney-Davis Hall.